2008년 9월 21일 일요일

The Great Gatsby - 1st blogging

Chapter I, II, III

Having read the first three chapters of “the Great Gatsby,” I became somewhat interested in this novel even though it only talked about the settings and characters generally. I thought the settings were very paradoxical. Although the East Egg and the West Egg were next to each other, they had totally different characteristics; the East Egg represented noble antiquity while the West Egg represented a new rich extravagance. Not only the two Eggs but also the valley of ashes and the New York City were exactly the opposite; valley of ashes was corrupt and poor while New York City prospered and flourished financially.

           Throughout the three chapters, the descriptions of the Great Gatsby made me fascinated and confused. Why did he sponsor huge parties and watch people enjoying and invite people whom he doesn’t know. Why is he portrayed as a sublime and luxurious character that is using awkward words in speeches such as ‘old sport’? I was a little annoyed because the book didn’t tell me why. I should find out about him more later in the chapters.

댓글 없음: